Tag Archives: Website Security

The Dangers of Hosted Scripts – Hacked jQuery Timers

Google blacklisted a client’s website claiming that malicious content was being displayed from forogozoropoto.2waky.com. A scan didn’t reveal anything suspicious. The next step was to check all third-party scripts on the website. Soon we found the offending script. It was hxxp://jquery.offput.ca/js/jquery.timers.js – a jQuery Timers plugin that was moderately popular 5-6 years ago. Right now, More Info »

Security Advisory – Medium Severity – WP eCommerce WordPress Plugin

Advisory for: WordPress WP eCommerce Plugin Security Risk: Medium (DREAD score : 6/10) Exploitation level: Easy/Remote Vulnerability: Information leak and access control bypass. Patched Version: 3.8.14.4 If you’re using the popular WP eCommerce WordPress plugin (2,900,000 downloads), you should update it right away. During a routine audit for our Website Firewall (WAF), we found a More Info »

Threat Introduced via Browser Extensions

We love investigating unusual hacks. There are so many ways to compromise a website, but often it’s the same thing. When we see malicious code on web pages, our usual suspects are: Vulnerabilities in website software Trojanized software from untrusted sources (e.g. pirated themes and plugins) Stolen or brute-forced credentials (anything from FTP and SSH More Info »

ASP Backdoors? Sure! It’s not just about PHP

I recently came to the realization that it might appear that we’re partial to PHP and WordPress. This realization has brought about an overwhelming need to correct that perception. While they do make up an interesting percentage, there are various other platforms and languages that have similar if not more devastating implications. Take into consideration More Info »

WordPress Websites Continue to Get Hacked via MailPoet Plugin Vulnerability

The popular Mailpoet(wysija-newsletters) WordPress plugin had a serious file upload vulnerability a few months back, allowing an attacker to upload files to the vulnerable site. This issue was disclosed months ago, the MailPoet team patched it promptly. It though as many are still not getting the word, or blatantly not updating, because we are seeing More Info »